Sunday, September 9, 2012

Where Do You Belong?

I ran across an old Senior Primary singing time which I thought was really successful. "The Church of Jesus Christ" was a program song a few years ago and I got this idea from a blog somewhere--unfortunately I'm really not sure although it's likely it was The Crazy Chorister, who was my muse for at least the first year I was chorister.

Anyway, I printed out the Church logo extra large--I think I enlarged it on the photocopier at church and it was probably on an 11x17 sheet. Then I covered it up with several easily recognizable "worldly" ;) logos which I found on Google Images. Here's the list I have in my files--I won't upload the actual images since that would take too long and I already should be getting ready for church right about now:

Apple
Mercedes
McDonald’s
Disney
Target
Wii
Xbox
Barbie
Bakugan
iCarly
The Suite Life
Hannah Montana
Guitar Hero
High School Musical
Washington Redskins
Halo
Lego
Where the Wild Things Are
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Yu-Gi-Oh!

Anyway, I taped all the logos so that they covered the Church logo. As we sang "The Church of Jesus Christ," I walked around with my poster and offered it to various kids inviting them to take one. Each took one until the Church logo was revealed. We had a nice talk about where we "belong," what we value and how long things of the world last versus things of eternity. I am 99.9% sure that I didn't use this activity for junior Primary, I think we did something else, but it was a nice opportunity to talk about the meaning of the song for the senior kids, who already knew the song anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment