Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First post.

I've been a Primary chorister for a little over a year now and realized I have almost zero record of the activities I've done for music time. That's 50+ activities, the details of which are lodged in some dusty corner of my hippocampus. So this blog is an attempt to record what I can remember having done in the past and what I'll do in the future--hopefully it will be helpful to me if I am lucky enough to keep this calling for a few more years or to get this calling again;and maybe even helpful to other struggling choristers someday.

I gritted my teeth and winced a little when I was asked to serve as the Primary (kids aged 3-11) music director early last summer. I had not taught music to a large room full of children before. I had a large and complex performance to prepare the kids for and many songs to teach them. Everyone I talked to who had done the job assured me that it was the best possible job, that it was a complete blessing and that I would love it. I rolled my eyes (when they weren't looking, of course) about a hundred times.

So, big surprise, it turns out that I absolutely do love teaching music to Primary kids and thinking about Primary songs all week long, coming up with games and ways to teach the kids music and concepts and to show them my love for them and Heavenly Father's love for them. I needed this job and the perspective it would give me. Blessings have been poured out on me and on my family because of it. Spending so much time with kids who are older than my kids (who are both nursery age) has triggered ideas, thoughts, emotions, and inspiration about how to mother my own children, what to teach them and when. I guess I have to thank the parents of the Primary kids for that. These kids are smart and faithful, fun-loving and well-behaved. They soak up knowledge like loud, gangly little sponges. I am amazed at how fast they learn and how much they love to learn.

I guess I should keep this experience in mind the next time I am asked to do something I am completely sure I have no capacity to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment